Winter allergies in San Diego, which is a seasonal allergic rhinitis, is caused by allergens that stay indoors because by this time the outdoor allergens become inactive.
Indoor allergens include dander, mold, cockroach droppings and dust mites. You would know you have winter allergies if the following symptoms persist for weeks.
- Itchy eyes and nose
- Running nose
- Nasal congestion
- Runny eyes
Do not confuse these symptoms for cold and flu if they last above and beyond 10 days. See your doctor immediately who might refer you to an allergist.
Some Medicines Used To Treat Winter Allergies In San Diego
The following are some medicines used to treat winter allergies. Go through a doctor to request the Rx for the meds.
- Decongestants: Sudafed, Afrinol are oral decongestants that help reduce nasal congestion. Decongestants also come in the form of nasal sprays like an oxymetazoline. However, nasal sprays should be administered in correct doses to prevent adverse side effects.
- Antihistamines: Oral antihistamines treat runny nose and eyes and itching. These include fexofenadine, cetirizine, loratadine etc.
- Nasal spray: Besides decongestant nasal sprays, your doctor might also recommend a cromolyn sodium nasal spray as this has lesser side effects. However, more than a cure this is a preventive measure and if you are susceptible to winter allergies, you want to start using it with the onset of the season.
- Combination medications: Your doctor may prescribe a combination of medications. This could be a concoction of antihistamine, decongestion, and analgesic drugs, depending on your symptoms.
- Neti pots: Nasal irrigation treatment or neti pots clean allergens by administering distilled water through the nasal passages.
- Creams and ointments: Your doctor might prescribe moisturizers or anti-eczema ointments for your allergies if you are showing signs of skin rashes.
- Pain Reliefs: Joint pain is a common symptom of winter allergies among adults. In this case your doctor may prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Lidocaine patch is a local aesthetic applied on the affected area that may help in reducing pains and aches.
If left untreated winter allergies may contribute to the development of future ailments such as
- Ear Infection
- Aggravation of Asthma
- Worsening of skin disorders such as eczema and hives
- Sleep disorders
These are the physiological effects of seasonal allergies. But apart from these, persistent allergy might affect your psychological health as well. Studies have shown the association between allergic rhinitis and an increased risk of psychiatric disorders. Continuous irritation in the eyes and the nose affects the mood, cause you to lose focus from your work or studies and ultimately reduce productivity.
Avoid Paying A Doctor And Long Trips At The Pharmacy
People often avoid seasonal allergies thinking that they will go away. Paying the doctor a visit, or going to a pharmacy may involve long trips, extended hours or waiting, not to mention expensive copay fees. These often deter patients from availing proper treatment and care.
But with Eldahmy Wellness Pharmacy, you do not have to worry about these. You can contact us to tell us about your symptoms and we will get your prescription medication delivered to your home for free in and around San Diego. All you must do is provide us a prescription order from your doctor once, and get it refilled each time you need the medicines to be repeated.
Winter allergies can be a seasonal occurrence for some and might as well be a tip of the iceberg for an individual susceptible to a variety of allergens. These individuals should be very careful while administering over-the-counter drugs because certain ingredients in these drugs may trigger an allergic reaction.
What Is A Compounding Pharmacy?
Compounded medication is the process of distilling the medicines of these possible harmful ingredients. A drug is compounded on the basis of the medical history of the patient involved.
Many medications can be made up of fillers and binders to which you may be allergic, for example, dye. Allergens in certain medications can be present as inactive ingredients such as lactose or gluten. If taken without knowledge, these medicines might cause fatal reactions, and currently, there exists no federal requirements to state the presence of gluten on non-medicinal ingredients.
A compounding pharmacy reevaluates and reconstructs a prescription by removing the component in a drug that has the allergen. The medication is broken down into its base components and then reconstructed into a drug suited to the constitution of the patient.
It is not easy for non-medicine people to understand that the anti-allergy drug they are about to take may have inactive ingredients such as those derived from peanuts and milk. These ingredients might end up triggering an allergic reaction. So, it is imperative to get a prescription cross-checked by a compounding pharmacist for possible presence of allergens before using it.
Many commonly used anti-allergic drugs cause a lot of side effects. But since compounded medications are personalized to the patient’s medical history, they provide a better cure without many side effects.
Pain is a common symptom of winter allergies or any types of allergies for that matter. And, for these cases usually high-dose analgesics and pain killers are prescribed to provide short-term relief. Besides having side effects, these drugs cause dependency in patients. However, compounded medication reconstructs these drugs in reduced dosages, and still make them effective by combining them with alternative forms of medications.
Contact The Pharmacists At Eldahmy Wellness Pharmacy In San Diego To Treat Your Winter Allergies
At Eldhamy, our medication experts have worked out an allergy survival kit, personalized to individual symptoms, complete with herbal and dietary supplements. If you have any doubts regarding the way medications and supplements should be taken, you can contact us. We are fully equipped to provide you guides on long-term allergy treatments and recommend doctors when symptoms arise. We have a full range of anti-allergic medications in our facility including but not limited to intranasal steroids, oral antihistamines, oral decongestants, saline nasal drops.
At Eldhamy Wellness Pharmacy we deliver your prescription on the same day you order. We negotiate the cost your health insurance would cover for the treatment on your behalf and get the best price for you. We speak multiple languages. Let us know what you are looking for.